Friday, March 30, 2012

Argh!!!

All in all this health kick has been going really well.....until last night that is....

So I worked both jobs last night...something I've done a lot in the past. I hate working at Applebees. I really do. I really enjoy about 35% of the people I work with....the other 65% I would like to shoot in the foot for being so.....argh!!!!  Bring on the bitch-it-out moment. If you don't want to read my rantings, stop now. You have been warned, this is a ranting post.

#1. Serving is NOT that hard. Yes, when you get busy and everything needs to be done at once, it sucks. Especially when guests don't understand and don't see you running your butt off and only see that their fricken water isn't completely full. But, it's really not that difficult. You greet your guest, you get their drinks, you take their order and punch it in. You get refills, run their food and give them their check....but then you get the guests that you feel as though they come in just to make your life crappier....the ones who say their food is bad but won't let you do anything to fix it, and the ones that wait until the very end of the damn meal, after they have eaten most of their food, to tell you there was something wrong with it even though you checked on them more than once! ARGH!!!!! And then when something goes wrong with their food in the kitchen and it was not your fault at all, they still blame you and tip you crappy. I don't think guests realize that as a server, we don't even make $5 an hour...we work there for the tips, not the wage.
(Ok...that was a really long #1....)
#2. If you go to a sit down restaurant and have to ask how much the drinks are, don't ask and just get water like all the other cheap people. Don't go to a restaurant unless you plan on spending some money. Yeah, alcoholic drinks are expensive, you know they don't put the prices in the menu because they want to trick you into spending more money. If you are doing water for health reasons, good on you. But don't ask me how much a pepsi or a coffee is going to be....
#3. Learn how to tip appropriately. If you get your refills, your food is on time, you get checked on and the server is friendly and you have no problems, tip them well! 10% is not how we tip anymore these days!!! If your service is crappy, a bad tip is expected, but not if the service is really good. Writing on the check that it was the best service you've ever had and then leaving a $2-3 tip is not telling us that it's the best service you've ever had.... Just because I said being a server wasn't hard, doesn't mean it isn't hard work....a bit contradictory sounding, but true. Being on your feet and moving around constantly for the amount of time most of us do, just plain sucks. It's not so bad if you have "good" tables, but when you start getting the crappy tables that you just can't seem to please or that need constant attention...your night is just that much worse.
#4. If you are a server...do NOT make everyone else's job around you harder! Do your shit, do it right the first time and don't expect everyone to pick up your slack. If you're in the weeds, fine, ask for help. Don't complain about how busy you are but never ask for help from the servers that have extra time on their hands.

I think I'm better now...if you've made it this far, thanks for letting me vent!

Now because of the way my night went and the mood I was in, I completely gave in and had an extremely greasy/high-calorie supper last night.....boneless wings, mozzarella sticks and spinach and artichoke dip.....I know...I know...I almost regret it now...but last night....totally worth it!!! I'll go to the gym and work extra hard today to make up for it. And no, this will not happen all the time. Certain issues just pushed me into "emotional" eating and I gave in very easily last night. Today is all healthy though!!

Here's to hoping my next serving shift on Saturday night is better than last night was!!

Hoping all is well!
XOXO
Fair

1 comment:

  1. Oh Miss Farren,
    The amazing truth has been spoken from one server to another, rant and rave as much as you want because I agree with 100% of this! <3 you

    ReplyDelete