Thursday, March 22, 2012

Healthy Day #1

Yesterday actually went much easier than I thought it would. At lunch I did try the spinach/mozzarella/tomato concoction things....I added a small dollop of italian dressing to each one.
They were actually pretty good, except the texture. I'm such a texture person...the texture of the cheese with the texture of the tomatoes and spinach just didn't mix for me. So I think next time I will just cut up slices of cucumbers and replace the cheese with those. Makes it even a little bit healthier.

Aside from that my food choices were pretty easy and delicious. However the next "road block" I instantly ran into was working at Applebee's last night. I only had to work a volume shift so I was home before 9:00 p.m. which allowed me to make something at home to eat for supper.
Spinach, lettuce, one roma tomato, half a cucumber (peeled and sliced), and 10 slices of turkey pepperoni. I dipped it in ranch instead of pouring (drowning) it in ranch before eating it. I would have put chicken on it or something other than the pepperoni, but I didn't have anything prepared and it was already 9...let's just face it, I was lazy haha! I also didn't want to eat anything too "heavy" before going to be either. 

The one thing I realized I am most definitely going to have to do on the days I work at Applebees is either bring something from home, pre-made, to eat, or alter something I can order off the menu. I could even just order a plain chicken breast with a side of rice or a side salad. 

I also had a really easy time drinking lots of water. Since I have already (for about the past 9 months to a year) been carrying around a water bottle with me almost everywhere I go. It also helps when I'm racing around at work and start sweating my butt off to be more likely to re-hydrate, haha! The one thing I did give in to was a beer after work. But I already knew that one was coming. As much as I "love" my serving job because it's cash now and if you do your job right you can make a lot in one shift! It's hard...it's being on your feet constantly, dealing with crabby and picky people, and trying to please everyone around you while dealing with all the crabby people you work with. Trust me...not exactly a "glamorous" job in the least bit. But like I said, good, fast, "easy" money. 

Also, about a year or so ago, I got onto SparkPeople.com.  (Notice how about a year or so ago I tried to get healthy too? :P I'm doing better already this time!) Well I quit using SparkPeople because I didn't have "constant" access to a computer and I didn't want to write down what I ate and try to find it and figure out calories and all that junk. I don't believe getting into a healthy lifestyle should be about counting calories. But my friend, Kathie, told me that they have an app! So I downloaded it. It's actually quite easy to use and since I have my phone with me almost 24/7 it made it even easier to keep track of everything. It basically just gives me an idea of the amount of calories I'm putting into my body everything and some of the things that would be easier to cut out to avoid some calories. In just the two days I have used it I can easily see the two biggest things a person should try to take out of their diet to avoid unnecessary calories: liquids and dressings!!!
Dressings for me are the worst!!! I've let myself get so used to using ranch, ketchup, mexi ranch, sour cream, italian dressing, mayo and other things to "flavor" my foods with that I'm not actually tasting the food I'm eating. I'm basically looking for a way to get the taste of the dressing without just sticking my finger into it and licking it off! Hahahaha!!!! So I'm starting by downsizing dressings. For me, it's something hard to give up on completely. Like pop for other people. So I have officially found my "weakness" I think! That and I know it will be hard to resist fried food sooner or later!! Right now, I'm just trying to avoid it all together!

So....as a first report...so far so good!!! I'm like this. Yes...it's only been 1 1/2 days since I made the "big" choice to change my life in such ways, but this is the first time I'm actually feeling really good about it and wanting to blog about it and such. Since I was walking all night at work and was able to avoid the tempting food, I got in some good exercise last night! Tonight I'm planning on going for a 30-40 minute walk/jog after I get home from work! Tomorrow I will be done with work at noon so I am planning on heading to the gym before going home for lunch. 

I did get supper on in the crock pot while at lunch today. I'm making chili, and I just used the ingredients I already had so I know it won't be the most healthy thing I could choose, but it's definitely better than going out to a restaurant or something like that!!! I have also for yesterday and today been trying to snack throughout the day on fruits and veggies or this afternoon I had a mini whole wheat bagel with peanut butter on it so that I'm not "starving" when I go to lunch or supper and just want to grab something from McDonald's or something so I can just eat now and not be hungry! So I'm hoping that helps a lot!

And just wanted to say one big THANK YOU!!! to everyone who has commented and offered their support! I really didn't expect a big response from this so it is so nice to know that I have support through all of this!! Thanks again everyone!!! And again, anyone with questions, tips, advice or wanting to do this with me just let me know!! I would be happy to share what I have learned so far and ready to learn more if I can!!

Hoping all is well!
XOXO
Fair

1 comment:

  1. Hi Farren!
    I too was on sparkpeople and still check in every now and then. It really did help me lose weight for my wedding. I did not know about the app. though! I try to eat healthy but I constantly struggle with this. myfitnesspal.com also has an app for your phone where you can track food intake. It's super easy too! i find that I have a hard time getting enough protein in. I'm good of fat and calories though. :S

    Good Luck!!
    http://scrapinexpecttheunexpected.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete