Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Well.....

I've been on this new diet/life change kick now for a couple weeks and all in all, I think it's going really well. I have been exercising pretty regularly and make it to the gym usually 3 times a week and "exercise" when I'm working at Applebee's. When I don't go to the gym I try to go for a walk or do an exercise video at home. So far that part is going alright.

The eating healthier isn't going too awful bad either. Obviously I'm not about to never eat the unhealthy stuff again. I have had cheese fries and beer and chocolate, but now its rare and in smaller quantities. I take care to try eating fruits and veggies when I'm munchy hungry instead of chips or something of the sort.

I have noticed that the best way for me to eat healthier is to make it easy for me. I'm not too keen on making meals. I love (attempting) to cook and try making meals, but most of the time I don't have the time to do it. I bought boneless, skinless chicken breasts and the best way I found for me to have it easily accessible to eat is to take and boil the entire bag and shred it and keep it in the fridge. Then it's already cooked and I can use it for salads or sandwiches and things of that sort. It makes it really easy and I still get protein without all the additives that are in pre-packaged lunch meats and such. This goes as well for fruits and veggies. If I make my little "snack packs", I'm 75% more likely to reach for those instead of something unhealthy because I can just grab and go with them instead of having to cut them or prepare them or anything. So when I go grocery shopping, I get them all set up right away so I have them readily available. It is a small change that has made a huge difference!! Probably been the biggest help for me so far.

One of the biggest challenges I have found though is having the time to make healthy meals. My life is so busy and it seems like I am always going and always have something to do or somewhere to go. When I go to Applebees I have found it's actually easy to eat healthy by ordering a plain chicken breast and a side salad with no dressing on it. I get a caesar salad so it's just the lettuce (I'm picky and don't like the cabbage or carrots and stuff that's in a house salad) and then I add the cucumbers and tomatoes and just dip it in some dressing instead of pouring the dressing over it so I use less dressing. The chicken I will dip in either dressing or buffalo wing sauce to give it a bit of flavor. While the dressing isn't exactly healthy, the rest of it is and I don't drown my food in the dressing.

I really wish I had the determination and discipline to get up early in the morning to go and do my gym workouts then, but I just don't, and I really dislike going after work because everyone and their mom is there, but I like to go before I eat. It's one of the "battles" I've been working on. It works perfect for me to go on Friday afternoons because I'm done with work at noon and usually don't have anything planned then. Sundays I have found work really well for me too since I usually have Sundays completely free. But during the week is when it gets harder for me. I've been making it work for the most part, but it's definitely one of the things I've learned I have to figure out how to change and make it stick.

The one other thing I'm wanting to figure out is healthy snacks. I have been trying to eat breakfast (usually a mini whole wheat bagel with 1/3 less fat cream cheese or peanut butter on it) around 9:00 and then eating a snack (strawberries usually) around 10:30, then another snack (usually a veggie snack pack or and orange or something) so that when meal times come I'm not starving and I eat a little less and healthier because I'm not as in a hurry to eat. It's been working rather nicely. However I want to find other things to have as snacks during the day. The fruit and veggies are great and all, but I want some more variety. So if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!!!
XOXO
Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment